Flesh-eating bug targets man in his garage

Ryan Lankford was working on his car when he bashed his shoulder on an old toolbox and the rare bug called necrotising fasciitis entered the cut.

Flesh-eating bug targets man in his garage

A man contracted a flesh-eating disease when he cut his arm in his garage.

Ryan Lankford was working on his car when he bashed his shoulder on an old toolbox and the rare bug called necrotising fasciitis entered the cut.

The 40-year-old father didn't get the scratch checked by doctors and, in a matter of weeks, his arm began to swell up to three times its normal size.

Medical professionals found the hungry bug had started munching away at Ryan's arm and it 10 operations for the gentleman, who spent five weeks in hospital, finally to get rid of the awful parasite.

Ryan, from Iowa, USA, said: "It was agony. I was in so much pain, I couldn't handle it.

"I have never experienced anything like it before. My arm began to ache and ache and I felt awful.

"I felt so nauseous - I was sick in my stomach."

Report a problem