Man chokes to death on cheeseburger

A 29-year-old father choked to death on a 99p cheeseburger from McDonald's after he took on a challenge with his mates.

Man chokes to death on cheeseburger

A father has choked to death on a cheeseburger.

Darren Bray, 29, keeled over after the 99p meal from McDonald's got wedged in his throat as he attempted to scoff the greasy bap in one mouthful as a dare with his friends.

Sam Bisgrove, a pal of Darren's, told The Metro newspaper: "He picked up the burger and rolled it half and then said, 'Watch this' before putting the whole burger into his mouth."

Paramedics rushed to Darren's home in South Wales, where they performed CPR, but they were unable to restart his heart and he was pronounced dead moments later.

Dr Rhiannon Trefor told Cardiff Coroner's Court: "When we did an internal examination there was an eight by five centremetre ball of food stuck at the back of his neck. Darren would not have been able to breath with that in his airway. Death would have followed quite quickly from choking."

Report a problem