Cannelloni is a classic Italian pasta dish but Chef Beppe De Vito’s recipe is anything but traditional. Instead of pasta sheets, he used wanton skin and substituted spinach with locally grown vegetables. Feel free to experiment and use whatever ingredients that you can find. This bento is simple to make and the best part is, you can prepare this a few days ahead, freeze it and heat it when you are ready to eat it.
Green Is The New Black by Chef Beppe De Vito
Vegetable Cannelloni With Almond Bechamel
Note: Recipe is not 100 percent exact as all chefs on the show made room for free play and approximation common in home cooking.
300g molokhia vegetables
300g wild spinach
2 packets wanton pastry
1 litre milk
100g mascarpone cheese
200g ricotta cheese
100g Parmigiano cheese
200g blanched whole almonds
1 cinnamon stick
1. Pour milk into a pot. Chop one onion and garlic into the pot of milk.
2. Put into the milk mixture a pinch of peppercorn, nutmeg, cinnamon stick and salt.
3. Boil the mixture of milk and spices for about 30 minutes. Sieve the milk mixture.
4. Blend the milk with the almond halves. Sieve the blended almond milk.
5. Fill a pot with water and season it with salt. Blanch the three vegetables.
6. Dice one garlic and onion.
7. In a frying pan, sauté garlic and onion with butter and season with salt
8. Put the sauté onions and garlic, the blanched vegetables, the three cheeses, a pinch of nutmeg, a pinch of pepper, one egg into the blender and blend.
9. Pour the blended vegetable mixture into a piping bag.
10. Lay out the freezed wanton skins and pipe the mixture onto the skins.
11. Roll the pastry into cylinders. Spread the almond bachamel on a baking dish. Line pastry into the baking dish. Coat the pastry with the almond bachamel.
12. Sprinkle Parmigiano cheese on top of the pastry. Bake for 10 minutes and ready to serve.