You’ve seen and tasted their award-winning culinary creations, now try your hand at whipping up unique and eclectic dishes dreamed up by Michelin-starred chefs for new Toggle Orginals series Bento Stars.
In the 16-episode series, which starts March 8, renowned chefs like Chan Hon Meng (Liao Fan Hong Kong Soya Sauce Chicken Rice and Noodle), Rishi Naleendra (Cheek by Jowl), and Manjunath Mural (Song of India), will show you how to create creative bentos using artisanal ingredients - think English ale and calamansi marmalade. That probably sounds intimidating, but the recipes are actually a lot simpler than you think and would befit any home cook.
Don’t believe us? Give Chef Manjunath Mural’s Hooked On You, a smoked pepper salmon and beetroot roll, a shot. This vibrant dish is inspired by his love for Japanese cuisine, while paying homage to his Indian roots.
Get the full recipe here.
Catch new episodes of Bento Stars every Thursday and Friday on Toggle.
Hooked On You by Chef Manjunath Mural
Smoked Salmon & Beetroot Rolls
Note: Recipe is not 100 percent exact as all chefs on the show made room for free play and approximation common in home cooking.
150g smoked salmon
1 teaspoon mango spice
½ teaspoon garam masala
4-5 cherry tomatoes
2 tablespoon mayonnaise
1 teaspoon lemon juice
Salt (to taste)
1. Peel the onions
2. Slice onions into thin rings
3. Julienne tomatoes
4. Grate the cheese
5. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a frying pan
6. Add onion rings and tomato juliannes into the pan and sauté for 2 – 3 minutes on medium heat
7. Next, add the smoked pepper salmon and mango spice into the mixture, sauté for a few more minutes
8. Finally, add in the garam masala, salt and lemon juice, mix well
9. Take the pan off the flame and transfer the stir fry into a bowl
10. Next make an egg wash
11. Now, taking the tortilla, lay a few pieces of lettuce, sliced cherry tomatoes and 3 tablespoons of salmon mixture, spread it out.
12. Roll the tortilla such that it is closed from the sides and the mixture will not spill out
13. After rolling, apply the egg wash evenly on all sides of the tortilla
14. Heat a frying pan at medium heat, add in 2 tablespoons of oil
15. Put in the tortilla roll and pan sear evenly from all sides
16. Cut it into small pieces and ready to serve.