13 Apr 2016
Vietanmese Beef Noodle (phó Bó) with Kicap Manis Glazed Sirloin Steak and Coriander Dip.
I served this dish in my now defunct restaurant and it was a top seller since day 1. Since my customers liked it then might as well play the field and serve to the judges to impress them.
13 Apr 2016
Sweet Dish: Red Ruby of Water Chestnut, Julienned Honey Jackfruit and Salted Cream of Coconut.
A rustic Thai dessert. Unpretentious and um delicious. :)
10-15pcs water chestnut, cut into small cubes
200g tapioca flour
300ml sugar syrup (300g sugar dissolved in 300ml water)
5pcs fresh jackfruit, julienned
200ml coconut milk
2 pandan leaves
6-7 drops red food colouring
500ml water (for boiling)
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
Mint leaves, for garnishing
1) Soak cubed water chestnuts in water with red food colouring for 10 minutes.
2) Place coconut milk in a saucepan over medium heat with salt and pandan leaves. Simmer for 3-4 minutes, constantly stirring. Do not boil. Remove from heat and let the mixture cool.
3) Drain the water chestnuts and coat with rice flour.
4) Place coated water chestnuts into a sieve and gently shake to remove excess flour. Drop coated water chestnuts into a pot of boiling water for 1-2 minutes, or until they float to the surface.
5) Scoop out the water chestnuts and place them in sugar syrup. This will prevent them from sticking together.
6) To assemble, layer julienned jackfruit at the base of a martini glass. Place a layer of water chestnuts (red rubies) on top.
7) Create a border on the inside of the glass with shaved ice, then pour coconut milk over.
8) Garnish with mint leaves and serve immediately.